Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Moigny

I've fallen in love with France again.  Actually, I've fallen in love with the countryside.  On the Saturday before I left, I joined Emilie at her childhood home, with her mom,  Claude and cat. 

I met E at a metro stop in the 14th where she picked me up in her little "go-getter" and we were off to Moigny.  Unfortunately it was around 7:45 when we were zipping along the little country roads, so I wasn't able to see much of anything, (other than the car coming at us on the one lane road).  We arrived in her town and she pointed out the school she had gone to as a little girl, the church in the center, the farm (her grandparent's house) and Josiane's house (her aunt).  

She clicked the gate opener and the gate started to open, revealing the beautiful stone country home. We pulled into the gravel driveway.  The chimney was smoking like a Parisian and the lights lit up the small kitchen inside.  We unloaded our small suitcases and brought them into the house where Claude, and their cat awaited our arrival.  


I had met Claude once before, 6ish years ago when my family was in Paris. My parents were good friends of Emilie's grandfather and used to stay with them on their farm when my mom was studying in Paris (around my age).  Our family history goes back a long time, but I had only met Emilie last summer when she came to stay with us in Los Angeles.  We have our own "exchange program", and I am hoping to go spend some time with Claude at her house.  

Claude is a beautiful, svelte woman who may have the biggest heart of anyone I know. It explains why Emilie is so kind and gentle. Claude welcomed me into her home with open arms as if I was going home for the weekend.  She made me feel as if I had a French family. She has a bed and breakfast next to her house that is perfect for the traveling family.  http://www.gralon.net/chambres-hotes/essonne/chambre-hote-4-personnes-moigny-sur-ecole-56704.htm.  


When we arrived, E and I decided to eat a little.  Claude had prepared some bread, cheese, beets (I usually HATE beets, but for some reason, there they tasted incredible), and couscous.  





She asked us if we wanted some beef and we both said yes.  E took me up the stone steps to the upstairs where she showed me around.  We went back down and sat in front of the fire.  Claude came through the front door with a pan with two cooked hamburger patties.  We sat around and talked for a bit.  Emilie got a few photo albums and we snuggled on the couch while looking through them. 



I felt so special to be able to see part of her childhood.  There aren't many friends that I would call my sister.   We both got into our pajamas and we sat against the wall that encases the chimney, for warmth.  She introduced me to all of the dolls she had when she was little.   I fell in love with her bed so she let me sleep in it.  I felt like a princess on the small loft.   



The morning came and it was time for church.  I looked out the window and it was foggy and beautiful.  I walked downstairs only to be surprised by a beautiful bounty of breakfast delights. E had gone out early to a bakery in the next town and brought back p.a.cs, croissants and bread.  I think that p.a.c may have been the second best, but maybe that's because I was so happy to be in the countryside. We ate up and headed to church. 







The morning mass was in part honoring E's grandparents, whom my parents were close to.  E and C had chosen to read something to commemorate them. E and C had recited their small passages many times the night before.  E called her brother to tell him what it was about and she had a hard time keeping a straight face while reciting the part about the fat sheep.  In church E and C read beautifully. 

After church we went to her other grandmother's house to visit for a moment. 



We walked up the road to the quaint stone building and in through a gate. She had the television on some game show and was baking an apple tart.  She hadn't been feeling well so E made sure to tell her to rest.  We walked back down the small road past the church to Josiane's house where Josiane, Claude, Celine, Celine's husband and son, Gules were waiting to eat. 











I had been to J's a few times before. I walked with Celine and E outside to the backyard where my cousin Adam, years and years ago had injured his foot while riding barefoot around the yard on a little motorcycle. 



J remembered that day when I told her that it was one of my memories from her house.   After sitting in the living room drinking champagne, we moved to the dining room where we feasted. Other than the slight language barrier, I felt like I was at home.  J and Claude sat around telling stories about my father. They were especially fond of the story about my father running around the farm, arms flailing, running after the rabbits screaming, "I got it, I got it!"


We all laughed as our stomachs started to hurt from the mass amounts of food we had all eaten.  There was chicken and bread and asparagus and  beets and cheese and potatoes, then two apple tarts, one avec cinnamon and one sans cinnamon.  At the end of the meal, before I left, J gave me a large jar of honey from the bees on their parent's property (the farm). 






Pretty soon it was time for Emilie to take me to Fontainebleau.  Before we made it there, we went to the farm where E's grandparents lived. Claude gave me a large bag full of walnuts from their trees as well. I was lucky, because I had gotten rid of all the food in my apartment.  


E drove us to Fontainebleau and the drive was even more spectacular than the castle. 





We arrived at Fontainebleau and it was mind blowing.  I couldn't seem to grasp the necessity to live on such a grand scale (and yes, I've been to Versailles).  I was stunned by the green space. It was very beautiful. E and I walked around admiring the "backyard" and pretending we were princesses on our property. 







On our way back to Moigny I asked E to stop at the bakery that she had gotten the pastries from that morning. It was a hole in the wall, but a great one. 



I was very sad to leave Moigny. Claude came to drop us off at the RER station that would take us into Paris.  I had such an amazing time in Moigny.  I cannot wait to go back and stay with Claude and Emilie at their house.  On the RER E and I had an interesting time people watching and eating the walnuts that Claude had given to me. 

We got off the RER station and I hadn't gotten my ticket from E so I had to sneak out behind someone.  As I snuck through, the panels shut on my arm, leaving my purse stuck on the other side.  I ducked my arm down to slide it out of the grips of the evil metro exit door. I got up to the Rivoli and enjoyed the cool night as I walked across the bridge to my apartment. 


Thank you Emilie and Claude for giving me such a wonderful Moigny experience.  I cannot wait to come back. 

Bisous. 

1 comment:

  1. great blog, sad to see you had your last entry years ago. i was just googling paris in the winter and for some reason ran into your blog. went there and london on my honeymoon and just enjoyed it/missed it so much its nice to read--more so see (in pics) of others experiences.

    enjoyed all the photos to go along with each entry. not enough people do that in their blogs. i always believe in pictures are worth a thousand words.

    anyways thats all. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete