Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Gran Mama


I’m not sure at this point what is better, learning how to make delicious pastries, or developing a good group of friends here. Today the girls, who I’m friends with in my group, all tried to convince me to stay for the whole program. For a minute I thought about what it will be like not baking with them in three months and it kind of made me sad. That was followed up by a photo op that started with Michel taking a picture of one of the girls and I with our pastries, then another girl jumped into the photo (I would name names but I forgot the order) the girls kept jumping into the photo until half our class was in the photo, a few minutes later. 

We have formed such a tight group.  We all help each other out. We are constantly asking each other what to do next and getting extra rolling pins for one another.  It might sound silly, but when you are rushing to get dough in the fridge to cool or apples peeled and sautéed, someone stirring your pan or turning your stove off really helps. We all just want to help, which is really lucky, because not all groups are the way we are.

I feel quite bad for the other group.  I’ve heard horror stories. Apparently in another group, there is a student who is super competitive.  I quite honestly don’t understand where that gets you at Le Cordon Bleu. If we were competing for a position in a prestigious bakery, then I could understand. Apparently the person blocks out their station so no one can see what they are doing and if someone’s apples or caramel is burning, she won’t tell them. (ooopss).  I could understand that if we were all staying in a city of 5,000 people and we were opening our own bakeries, however we are all from different places, hers being an island in the middle of no where.  Apparently when the chef goes around to grade student’s pastries, she follows chef around inspecting them as well, making faces.  We all know that if she were to come to ‘inspect’ mine, I would simply ask if she’s lost, or needs some help with something. Some people really freak me out.  

Another part to this staying for the year thing, is that I don’t think there is a way to guarantee my same group!

Today in practical we made apple turnovers and palmiers. I ate two palmiers out of the oven, I am usually guilty of that and the people in my group, on my end of the work surface know it.  I usually shell out a little of whatever I’m eating to those around me. If they aren’t to eat then what the hell are they for?!

Puff pastry is not easy by any means! You have to first roll the dough out in the shape of a cross with a growth in the middle.  Then you beat the shit out of some dry butter (less water content) and stick it on the cross, fold it up like a package and beat that!  What therapy. Then you have to roll the dough out in a specific way and fold it 3 way 5 times blah blah blah.  Well, today we had my favorite chef, Chef Tranchant.  He is hilarious, not a true teacher, but we joke around.  Today when I presented my odd sized turnovers he pointed to them and said, “ la mama, papa, bebe”.  Minutes before he called my name, I took out what he would have called the grand mama. We shared a moment of laughter over my little family of turnovers.  He ended the grading period and I asked him to come to my workstation.  I showed him my GRAND mama.  I told him that it’s the grand, gross mama and he starting laughing.



Mr Fluffy



Today Hottie Chef came into our class and stuck around for a while. He didn’t have his chefs hat on so we could finally see the color of his hair.  Nargas and I, well I think most of us were banking on dirty blonde.  It was brown, not what I had expected, but boy was he smoking hot! He just hung around and watched us when the pastries were baking.   We were all dying over him today in class.  He has the most amazing, piercing blue eyes, I just can’t get over it.  Wait until Shibani sees him without a hat, I wonder what she will say. I no longer think he plays for the other team.

I have noticed some other cuties around “campus” and well, some have noticed me.  Do you think I can recruit them just so they can practice their cuisine offerings in my kitchen?

Oh wait. I found the most amazing little italian shop on my corner.  The owner speaks english, perfectly!  I bought some fresh ricotta and spinach ravioli and porcini ravioli and TRUFFLE CHEESE! amazing. 


Bisous 

No comments:

Post a Comment