Friday, September 2, 2011

Ze purrrfect steamed iron look


I’m really not sure what I enjoy more, LCB or Shibani’s constant narration. If my life was made into a movie, I would certainly cast her to tell my story.  As I mentioned before, she was originally from India but spent the last 6 (?) years in the UK working and you can hear it when she speaks.  She has shed most of her Indian accent and now speaks in a lovely, proper, full British accent, with zest.  I’m not sure if I can do her justice just by description. She is a bit of a motherly figure with a teenager’s spirit, although she thinks of herself as if she is decades older than us. She is proper and spicy and loves her massive shoe collection. When I asked her for help with the metro, she made helped me buy my tickets, figured out my route with me and even rode the trains with me to make sure I ended up in the right place. You’re lucky if you get to meet her.  I think we seem to understand each other.

Today at school was less than amusing. Well aside from putting on our getups for the first time.

I was going to add a photo of my get up but I will wait until I'm wearing the Jonny Rockets hat, hairnet, towel and apron. 

 The French have a way of complicating something simple like a schedule.  Or as Shibani said they take any opportunity to complicate things.  For example, the translator handed out everyone’s specialized binder from groups D, E and F before class started. Then, once she was done passing them out, she continued to her next duty, roll call.  Now why she didn’t just look at the binders that were left over to figure out who was absent is beyond me.

We started off learning an apricot glaze, then praline, then “coffee extract” to use in creams and candies, almond paste (ick) and then finally fondant which was personally my favorite of the day.  After the scatterbrain chef completed the dishes simultaneously, he and went on for 40 minutes about safety in the kitchen.  The squat woman translated what he was saying with a less enthusiastic, stricter tone (she got on my nerves, or maybe it was because she repeated the same things over and over again in a language I could understand).  Post safety talk he proceeded to tell us  how chocolate is made from the cocoa plant to the final product (I’d rather just eat it).

Tomorrow we will be learning shortbread cookies.  I cannot wait! Things are so much better here.  This morning I slathered butter on my toast.  I’ve never had anything so good in my life!

When I returned home today I realized that I needed to press my uniform.  That was an interesting experience. I have used an iron before however I was unsure if it had to have water in it because the one in the apartment was empty.  I texted Shibani who claims its one of her favorite activities. She assured me “oh good lord. You’re incredible! Mais oui!! For ze purrrfect steamed iron look”.  Well, by the time I got that message, I had set up my ironing board in my little kitchen and had already finished my “trousers” and was on to the jacket. I think cleaning and pressing service will be my biggest expense, until Nick comes and irons for me. I assured Shibani later on the phone that she would be appalled by my ironing job, to which she answered, we all look like clowns anyway.  touche.
Tonight I will be enjoying some Moroccan food with Durdam and Shibani on Blvd. Saint Germaine. What a life.

Bisous 

No comments:

Post a Comment