Sunday, September 11, 2011

Rainy day

 I had a delicious and slightly different tasting pan au chocolat today. Due to its size, I would have appreciated another chocolate spear running through it, but regardless, it was quite delectable. It was far from standard. On a rainy day like today, it’s hard to imagine that the chocolate could be slightly melted in the middle but it was and it got all over my face, the way it should when you take a bite.  The pastry its self tasted like it may have had caramelized a little on top which may explain its dark gold color. Unlike other less experienced bakeries, like those posers in LA, the layer of flakes, were just that, flakey and crisp. If it would stop raining I might go get another.



It has been rainy all day today.  Generally I don’t mind the rain but it really forced me to stay inside and not go for a four-hour walk around the city. I stayed in bed until 1:20 until I realized that I might entirely miss the Sunday bio Raspail market that I missed last week. The Raspail market is only bio, or organic, on Sundays.  It’s actually quite nice because so many other things are close on Sundays that it gives me something fun to do.

On my way to the market I passed this place. 


You may think it’s a Lexus advertisement, but look above the car and you will see a name. A name of a lovely lady that I know (spelling is different)… It made me miss home just a little.


I got to the market as it was closing. I walked through and saw such amazing things.  I stopped to have some flat veggie patty.  I’m actually not sure what it was but it was maybe the only thing I’ve not finished here, other than that risotto last night.  It tasted like something my mom would have liked, minus the cheese on top.




I followed my patty up with a purchase of beautifully striped apples.  I continued on to a stand with two beautifully French mid 40’s women who were selling non-traditional pastries.  Knowing the arrival of my sister is going to come quick, and I’m not learning carrot cake, I decided to try theirs. It was light, moist and not too sweet.  I think it may be the perfect treat for my sister!



I also got one of their chocolate cookies.  I already ate it and it was quite good, very different than an American cookie.  It may have had spelt flour, or something that made it a little grainy. It had 65% cocoa in it so it was yummy. I have eaten so many sweets that it is hard to imagine that I could eat a cookie, but I’ve been craving chocolate! It tasted like something that I may have found on smitten kitchen.  I would post a picture of it but I ate it all.  Well, here is a picture of the crumbs and a small piece.



I have a terrible habit of documenting my “snacks” after I begin to devour them.

Here is the market through pictures.




They need to work on their technique. I could show them a few things.


This is what I ended up with! 





On my way home it began to rain slightly.  It is such a beautiful city that rain or shine I’m outside walking around enjoy the sound of the drops as they hit the pavement or the sound of kids playing the their school’s courtyard.

I’m now sitting in my apartment watching the clouds come and go and the rain lighten as the clouds move eastward. There are people all over my neighborhood popping in and out of the galleries.

On my way out, I walked past a gallery and the man had his door open and was listening to some 40’s maybe 50’s music, it really made me miss my grandma. I’m so used to visiting my grandparents every Sunday, but now that I’m here I’m only reminded of them every so often.

Today it’s wine and Hootie & the Blowfish blasting on the little speaker E Stewart got me.









Bisous

2 comments:

  1. oh my god....those beans....just like what i am roasting now.....did you velo over? love your photos and description co. am going out to read on the grass. yes, that's right. the shady part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious day! Lvu LB

    ReplyDelete