Saturday, October 8, 2011

2.5 Euro Wine

After 4 days in a row of 8:30 am classes, I just wanted to sleep! The three glasses of wine (thanks Pablo) really helped.  My body has shutdown completely.  It could have something to do with the bike ride I took yesterday.  I FINALLY signed up for Velib' last night and took my first ride yesterday morning. I've been pretty lazy lately and take taxis to school then walk home. Yesterday I walked to the Velib' terminal on Cherche-Medi and grabbed a bike. I had scouted out my route on the way to school in cabs, so I knew all the streets I could actually ride down. I dumped my purse, cake box and uniform in the little basket the bike had and hopped on. I must be really out of shape because I was seriously struggling.  First of all, the bike sucked and kept making noises, and the handle bars were very off due to the uneven weight distribution in the basket.  

Luckily it was still dark at 7:10 when I got on the bike, so there weren't many cars out, just trucks delivering produce. I got on the bike and it wobbled at first.  I don't exactly think I should have been biking down two main boulevards, but 7 am was the right time to attempt it. I felt like my mother.  I was so challenged, biking in Paris that it just became something I couldn't stop laughing at. Every time I swerved (almost into a car) I just started laughing. 

At about mile 2.3 I was exhausted. I stopped for a bus to pass me and I got off the bike and my ears were hurting and I was dizzy. I drank some water and biked after that devil bus. I found a street to turn up, just as the sun was making its out. I parked my bike a few blocks away from the school and walked to the Carrefour for some food. I chose an apricot yogurt (my favorite as a kid) and paid for it and left for school. Once I was dressed and ready to eat my yogurt, I tore my locker apart looking for it. I made a huge mess and then realized that I left it at the market. I was certain that it wouldn't be a good day. 

I've found a very gorgeous guy at school that I am very interested in. That has lead me to go to the school bar a few nights this week.  He didn't show up either time so I may have given up on that plan. It's nice to have something good to look at at school because everyone else is so insanely unattractive. 

The first class yesterday was a practical where we made our Moka cake.  Its almost like a French tiramisu. There are cake layers that are somewhat dry so you brush on a coffee imbibing syrup that makes the layers soggy (yuck, I hate soggy bread). In the middle is coffee buttercream (with 350 grams of butter in it, well in the whole recipe and I only used about 3/4 of it). It's pretty repulsive if you ask me. I forgot to imbibe the top of the cake, once it was assembled, before I covered the cake in bc. I actually was much happier with the taste without the mass amounts of imbibing-ness. It made the cake less soggy but still gave it a good flavor. 




During class I cut my finger as I do every time we have "Hottie/PMS" Chef.  I showed him and told me that there was a band-aid in the class room. He knew that I would cut myself, he kind of hinted to that anyway. It was a very stressful class, potentially the most stressful. We had to make the batter for the cake, put it in the oven (when mine came out of the oven, it wasn't on the baking sheet that I had put it on so I had to scavenger for it, thank you Narges for helping me) and then we had to make the imbibing syrup (ick) and then the buttercream.  It was A LOT of whipping. Guys have no problem with the whisking thing, its in the same motion as another one of their favorite activities so they have all the right muscles developed for it.  The whole thing was a mess! But it ended up coming out okay. 

After we finished our cakes, we had to make our croissant dough to be baked on Tuesday. We were all scattered, running around the kitchen trying to finish the dough (fairly simple) before class was over, and so Chef would stop yelling at us.  At least when it was all over, Chef told me that mine was good for the first time. 


We had about three hours between classes so Narges, Olivia and I went to lunch down the street. We tried sitting in their "outside" area (which was really covered) but there was far too much smoke so we ate inside. It wasn't bad.  I had a plate of goat cheese with three slices of Poilane bread.  I took the photo too late so I didn't get all the food, just what was left.  It was a very nice girls lunch with two girls in my group that I really like.




I almost forgot! I have good and bad news. Good news first in two parts; I found the best p.a.c which means I don't have to eat anymore.  Bad news is they were made by Chef Cotte at school yesterday in our demo so I wont ever have them again (he's married). 

It was actually beyond delicious.  It was flakey, the chocolate was melting, there was a crunch, I ate 2 (I thought I'd just slip that in there). 




Last night I met Olivia at school because she wanted to eat group D's p.a.cs after they came out of the oven, so I met her there at 9:30.  After we had successfully eaten 4 p.a.cs we left for the bar.  The bar was quite interesting.  I had three glasses of wine (2.50 euro each) which is about 2 1/2 too many for me. I think I convinced a cuisine chef to come and cook for me and Olivia.  I also told him how hot he is in his uniform. I'm really glad that people don't look normal in their uniform, so the next time chef comes into class looking for something, he won't recognize me!  I think one glass of wine is good for me. 



I cant believe that I'm leaving in almost two months.  I am going to miss everyone so much.  This has been by far one of the most amazing experiences of my life.  I have been fortunate enough to meet such great people and so many different types of people with so many backgrounds that share the same love for food that I do. Is it time to start looking for a husband here so I can stay?


Bisous 

1 comment: