Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sunday and Monday

Sunday was market day. I decided that I wanted to try out Bastille after having heard rave reviews. I signed up for a week pass for Velib' so I could bike there.  I went to the station and tried five bikes before I realized that none of the bikes worked. unfortunately it was after I kept going to the kiosk that I would realize they were not functioning. At one point I withdrew a bike, got on it starting pedaling only to realize that the left pedal was missing. I was extremely frustrated.  

I started to walk and then saw another station.  I decided to give it a 6th chance and luckily bike number 13 was good luck (obviously).  I Velib'-ed to the market. I went to the first station but it was completely full so I went to the next one across the square and had to wait for someone to withdraw a bike. It didn't really matter, because I was stuck waiting for Narges who was meeting me. The market looked like a carnival. It had an ice cream and crep hut on the corner, at the entrance and carnival games just a few steps down.  I was turned off.  I walked into the market across from the game hut to see an old homeless couple sitting on a blanket playing string instruments, only they weren't playing, they were dragging the bow across the strings making a raucous.  It is exactly how I would sum up Paris. 




I was not happy to be there.  I walked down one of the aisle and got claustrophobic and scared someone would take something from me.  I went back to the metro station entrance to wait for N. We met at the giant ice cream cone and went into the market. At first, we were both turned off by it.  There were too many people and it reminded me of something I would have seen in Egypt at a market. As we continued down the aisle it got better.  There were less people and it was wide enough that I didn't feel too cramped.  I was shocked by how cheap it was. I didn't like that there was only one Bio hut, but the market had a lot to offer. There were four rows to go through that spanned two blocks.

Here are my market photos. 















We hauled our market bags to Rose where we waited for a while to sit and have lunch.  We both agreed that Rose has the most amazing bread that we've had in Paris, and I've eaten a lot of it. 


It was such a beautiful day. In the middle of a very cold week, it was a burst of sunshine and warmth. On our walk back from Rose, I was wondering why there were so many people out, then I realized that it was because of the weather. 







Monday. 

I knew all weekend that happy Hottie Chef wouldn't last, and boy was I right. We had hottie for our practical where he was still not yelling as much, but no where near as happy as he had been that day last week.  I did however get a few winks, but its been 6 weeks, don't I get more than a wink? I mean last week he was telling Narges and I that we should keep in touch.  Well, here is the stupid little hut I made yesterday at school.  Its a pear charlotte.  Biscuits on the outside and cream (duh) on the inside with a canned pear on top (gross). 





I left it at school and had a few bites. 

My Brussels post is in the works!

Bisous





No comments:

Post a Comment